Monday, July 11, 2011

Beauty Bit: My Waterproof Mascara Review

Every summer I go on the hunt for the perfect waterproof mascara; one that lives up to all of my wishful requirements. In a perfect world, I would want one that lengthens, adds volume, holds curl, and doesn't budge. A while ago, I was bebopping around Ulta, when I came across the new Urban Decay Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara. I've heard good things about this mascara, so I placed it in my basket with thoughts of perfect lashes in my head, despite the $20 price tag.
MascaraHere is the claim from Urban Decay:
If waterproof mascaras that leave your lashes feeling heavy and cakey make you want to weep bitter tears, you can throw them in the trash. We have a solution: Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara! Rigorously field-tested in the ocean as well as sweat-drenched gym conditions, this exclusive Japanese formula refuses to budge. A special microcrystalline wax works with the dense, fuzzy brush to increase seductive length and volume, all while never flaking off and compromising your lashes’ natural feathery texture. Mermaids can now sing their siren songs with abandon, and high maintenance types can cry all they want.

I decided to take the mascara on my trip to Disney World without testing it first, which was a bit risky... I mean, what if it had been horribly smudgy and then I was stuck with it at sweaty amusement parks? No thank you. Nevertheless, I applied it carefully the first morning during my trip and promptly forgot all about it. I probably wouldn't have remembered that I had used this new mascara if it wasn’t for the fact that it started raining at noon that day (and proceeded to rain the rest day)! My mom started getting smudgy under her eyes, which reminded me to check mine, so I whipped out my compact... and NO SMUDGES! I wore this all week through the sweat, water rides, super humidity, swimming at the pool, and had absolutely no problem with flaking or budging.

As amazing as its' waterproof abilities were, it didn't add volume at all. I don't think it over promises to provide super thick lashes, but I didn't notice any volume difference at all. It did add a little length, and made them super dark, which opened my eyes, but it wasn't a huge difference.

Overall I think this mascara is completely worth it for poolside or super sweaty days, and will be my go to mascara for beach days and workouts this summer. But for the nights that I go out, I will most likely reach for a more volumizing mascara. Needless to say, this mascara will be a staple in my beach bag! 

No comments:

Post a Comment